Our Medical Daith Research
We have been researching the effectiveness of Medical Daith ear piercing in the treatment of migraines for over 5 years.
At every stage we have been encouraged by how consistently our research results have confirmed a real effect that is not just “in the mind”.
- 2017 – First of 3 international questionnaires completed by over 3,000 migraine sufferers with a daith piercing (see report below)
- 2018-2022 – Started piercing our own migraine patients at London Migraine Clinic
- 2018 – First presentation to the Oxford Headache Symposium
- 2019 – Presentations to Oxford Headache Symposium, Anglo-Dutch Migraine Association, International Headache Society
- 2021 – Zoom presentation to Association of Migraine Disorders in the USA (see video below)
- 2022 – Major research paper published on the theory and results of Daith Ear Piercing for Migraines (ee paper below)
- 2022 ongoing – Latest research started to follow 1000 patients having a Medical Daith for their migraines (ongoing, in collaboration with Blue Banana)
- 2023 planned – Planned research to use brain scans to measure the immediate effects of Medical Daith on brain activity
2017 International Questionnaire – The first results to show that Medical Daith could not be explained away as “in the mind” and more research was needed – Download Report
2022 Research Article – “Daith ear piercing, vagus nerve stimulation and the treatment of migraine headaches” showed that 80% responded to a Medical Daith and that there was a long term effect lasting over 12 months in 40%, and confirmed that a large scale study was needed
We are continuing our research with the largest study ever to be undertaken. In collaboration with Blue Banana we are measuring the effect of a Medical Daith in 1000 migraine sufferers over 12 months
We have trained the most experienced piercers at Blue Banana to precisely measure the optimal place for piercing. Everybody who has a Medical Daith at Blue Banana will be invited to join our research.
It takes very little effort, and as a special thank you, anyone who takes part will be enrolled in a draw for £1000, and will also receive a voucher to spend at Blue Banana.
The 2021 Migraine Symposium
Watch our brief presentation made in October 2021 to the Association for Migraine Disorders regarding our research.